An air hammer is a versatile power tool that works with compressed air. It can have several different attachments added to it for various functions. This is why, at times, people refer to this tool as an air chisel.
Air hammers can be used to do a wide variety of stripping and demolishing jobs. This makes it a handy gem for DIY projects and renovations in the home. You can also use an air hammer or air chisel in your garage for disassembly jobs such as popping out CV joints and peening solid rivets. This tool can handle lightweight and heavy-duty tasks depending on its make.
- 1 What To Consider When Choosing Air Hammers
- 2 Our Picks for the 9 Best Air Hammers
- 3 1. Ingersoll Rand air hammer 114GQC
- 4 2. Sunex SX243 Hd 250
- 5 3. Chicago Pneumatic CP7150 air hammer
- 6 4. Chicago Pneumatic CP714 heavy-duty air hammer
- 7 5. Astro pneumatic tool 4980 0.498
- 8 6. Chicago Pneumatic CP717 super duty air hammer
- 9 7. DEWALT DWMT70785 air chisel hammer
- 10 8. Powermate Px P024-0293SP heavy-duty air hammer
- 11 9. Ingersoll Rand 121Q super duty air hammer
What To Consider When Choosing Air Hammers
Buying tools can be a hassle on the best of days, and that’s why we are here to make it easier. We have compiled a list of things that you need to consider when shopping for an air hammer.
Air hammers offer a variety of services. You can attach different tips depending on the project you are undertaking. The hammer tips are great for shaping and smoothing. The chisel tips are great for scoring and cutting. With this in mind, when buying an air hammer, you need one that can support as many different attachments as possible.
Air hammers are powerful in their working mode and can cause severe injuries if safety precautions are not put in place. This means that you should have proper safety wear such as safety glasses as part of the things you buy. You should also ensure that you are well informed and experienced to handle such a tool. You should also ensure that the hammer has a good grip, especially on the trigger, so that you have full control.
Air hammers work with tightly compressed air. Of course, every hammer can do this, but you will need to check the PSI rating of the hammer. This number should match the rating of your air compressor. If these two figures are a mismatch, then the air hammer will not work correctly, but the good news is that most of the compressors being released to the market nowadays can withstand any tool.
The air hammer barrel can be long or short. Short barrels are great for light work, for example, removing wheel studs while long barrels are designed for heavy-duty tasks.
It should be noted that there is no universal barrel size to stick to. Each model comes with its unique barrel. As we have mentioned here, the longer the barrel, the greater the force sent to the piston, but if you want something versatile, then the longest barrels are not the best.
Medium-sized barrels get almost every work done. A model with a short barrel translates to great mobility but at a high cost of power. So as much as you can use what you want for your needs, moderation is essential.
5. Blows per minute (BPM)
Blows per minute refer to the number of cycles that push the piston to hit the hammer and go back. You might assume that the higher the BPM, the better the performance, but actually, the lower the BPM number, the stronger the impact. The BPM is what shows you the true power potential of the hammer model. For a beginner, something between 2000 and 3000 BPMs should suffice.
6. Instant-power vs. gradually-progressive trigger
The trigger is an essential element since it has to do with control. It allows you to control the power of the air by letting it in or keeping it out. This happens in two ways; instant and gradual progressive.
Instant progressive is when the air hammer uses full force immediately the trigger is pulled. This gives you faster results and is the best when you do not have all the time to wait. Many construction workers prefer this mode.
The gradual progressive trigger will take some time before unleashing full power. This is the best option where safety is concerned. You have enough time to prepare and adjust your grip, plus it gives you an upper hand when you’re controlling it.
Always go for something longer because that means the manufacturer has full confidence in the performance of their product. A minimum of three years is a great warranty.
Now that you have a firm grip on what air hammers are, how they function, and what you should consider when buying one, here is a list of some of the best air hammers.
Our Picks for the 9 Best Air Hammers
Now that you know what to look for when buying an air hammer, here are our picks. In making this list, we kept in mind all the factors we mentioned in this list.
1. Ingersoll Rand air hammer 114GQC
The Ingersoll Rand Air Hammer 114GQC is a light-duty hammer that can be used for cutting, fixing, and other general repairs. It is powered by compressed air and can make 3500 blows every minute. It comes with a quick change retainer so that you can easily swap your chisels.
This impact tool is rugged and compact to give you a solid grip while working. It also comes with a medium-length alloyed steel barrel to ensure the hammer serves you for longer.
- Award-Winning ergonomic grip
- Three-piece chisel set
- Heat-treated piston
- Longer life alloyed steel barrel
- Has a short warranty period ( one year )
- Grip becomes slippery after prolonged use
2. Sunex SX243 Hd 250
The Sunex SX243 Hd 250 is in the same price category as the Ingersoll Rand Air Hammer 114GQC. It is a unit recommended for grinding, drilling, and cutting. It offers you 2200 blows per minute (BPM ) and has a long barrel making it ideal for heavy-duty work.
This Sunex unit is a combination of high power and lightweight design. The hammer has an aluminum casing, but the other parts are steel reinforced. The housing is small, but the barrel is a long one meaning that this hammer can smash heavy-duty tasks.
- Long barrel design
- Aluminum alloy housing for durability
- Ergonomic comfort grip
- Weighs 5.6 pounds
- Long barrel design with 2, 200 BPM
- Aluminum alloy housing with ergonomic comfort grip
- Hardened steel barrel for maximum durability
- Built-in regular or knob for easy adjustment
- Specification ions: blows per minute 2, 200, bore (-Inch) 3/4, stroke (-Inch) 3-3/4, air inlet (npt)...
3. Chicago Pneumatic CP7150 air hammer
This standard air hammer is quite easier to use because that is what the manufacturers intended it to be. It is also the best when it comes to doing the simplest of tasks.
The speed of this hammer is easy to change, and you can manage several jobs with it. This means that if your business is not so demanding, then a single unit can take care of everything.
- Easy to learn how to use
- Has enough power for a good number of jobs
- Standard industry device
- Might require longer or shorter stroke
- Might need more settings
4. Chicago Pneumatic CP714 heavy-duty air hammer
The CP714 Heavy-Duty Air Hammer is a unit that suits professionals who want the best. This unit can be used for several applications such as bolt shearing, riveting, exhaust, front end, among others.
The CP714 offers you more control than ever, plus it has an extra sensitive tease to control when it can start and stop. For precise control over speed, you can make use of the positive action trigger. The hammer gives you 2000 blows per minute and comes with a two-year warranty.
- Effective speed regulator
- Low sound power
- Vibrates a lot
- Can only do heavy-duty tasks with a three or eight-inch rivet
- Positive action trigger for precise control over speed range because of spool valve
- Versatile-handles widest range of applications
- Hammer weighs just 3.33 lbs.
- 2000 blows per minute
- CP Classic Tool- Now comes with 2 year warranty!
5. Astro pneumatic tool 4980 0.498
The Astro Pneumatic air hammer is a specific unit and has a shank that allows you to work with several types of chisels. All you will need to do is buy a shank set. The main selling point for this hammer is that you can change the chisels easily, and there is enough power to see you through the task you have at hand.
- Can change chisels easily
- Enough power for each chisel type
- Works on the job with ease
- More power might be needed
- It can be too complicated for daily use
- Maximum power air hammer for heavy dutyoff-road, industrial and automotive applications
- Remove or install rivets in I-beam suspension and work site equipment, heavy duty servicing of truck...
- Speed: 1800 RPM
- Bore: 3/4-inch
- Stroke: 2-11/16"
6. Chicago Pneumatic CP717 super duty air hammer
Also known as the super duty air hammer, the Chicago Pneumatic CP717 Super Duty Air Hammer has a reputation that precedes it. Its casing is simple but is a mixture of both aluminum and steel. It is around 4 pounds and still qualifies as a lightweight hammer.
The long-stroke heavy-duty piston can deliver 1800 blows per minute. This means that you will need enough compressed air. This unit requires a source of compressed air that can deliver 7 CFM.
This air hammer model is most common with truck drivers and construction workers because it offers extra power compared to its peers in the same range.
- Hard-hitting air hammer
- Easy Change Retainer
- Can become brute and uncomfortable to use
- 1-year warranty period
7. DEWALT DWMT70785 air chisel hammer
From the renowned manufacturer, DEWALT comes another quality tool. The DEWALT DWMT70785 Air Chisel Hammer, with its black and yellow design, is a lightweight air hammer made of aluminum. It is durable and has a rubber handle to give you that firm grip.
This is not a hammer for heavy-duty tasks. The barrel is shot and, therefore, will not provide enough power. This hammer will give you 2200 BPM and requires 4.5 CFM to deliver.
Now here comes the best part of this unit. First and foremost, the handle has an extra layer of rubber that acts as a shock absorber. This additional rubber layer also absorbs the extra vibrations made during the operation. It also has a touch control trigger to help you operate it with ease. And last but not least, this light to medium-duty model has the most desired warranty when it comes to air hammers. A 3-year warranty, which so far it is only DEWALT that has succeeded in doing so in this list so far.
- Has three different chisels
- Ergonomic handle
- Can leak air
- Changing the bits can prove to be difficult
- Power levels can go down
8. Powermate Px P024-0293SP heavy-duty air hammer
The Powermate Px P024-0293SP Heavy Duty Air Hammer has all the features of a professional tool. One of these features is a touch trigger that is not only comfortable for gripping but also gives you the power of control. The handle exhaust keeps the heat away from the working space.
There is also the fast change retainer so that you can change your chisel bits as fast as you can. This unit comes with four carbon steel chisels, namely cold chisel, panel cutter chisel, ripping chisel, and punch chisel. For purposes of giving you a firm hold and reducing vibration, a soft-touch grip has been provided.
- Handle exhaust to keep heat away
- Quick change chisel
- Comes with four carbon steel chisels
- Professional touch trigger
- Can only handle very lightweight tasks
- Professional touch trigger adds comfort and gives user better start/stop control
- Handle exhaust keeps heat away from work surface
- Quick-change chisel retainer makes changing chisels quick and easy
- Includes 4 carbon steel long chisels- cold chisel, ripping chisel, punch, panel cutter
- Soft-Touch grip for firm hold and reduced vibration
9. Ingersoll Rand 121Q super duty air hammer
The Ingersoll Rand 121Q Super Duty Air Hammer is a six-piece chisel kit that makes you able to do bush driving, panel crimping, and cutting, and other general front ends work fast.
This unit is a combination of the super duty pneumatic hammer ( the 121 ) and the best six high-quality chisels. These chisels can deliver even in the harshest job.
This hammer model has a coil spring retainer, and that means it offers fast and easy chisel changing. This hammer will give you 3000 blows per minute. At 3.5 pounds, you can lift it with ease. This unit boosts your productivity.
- Power and sturdy construction
- Coil spring retainer
- Comes with six steel assorted chisels
- Professional touch trigger
- Complaints about a weak retainer spring
If this is your first time learning about air hammers, we hope that this review did more in helping you understand these amazing tools. This review is a result of thorough and neutral research. All these hammers carry a particular aspect that makes them a viable candidate. If you noted keenly, we never mentioned the price. This is because we believe that price is only an issue in the absence of quality. So this review is all about features that stand out.
Go for something that is reliable and will match the tasks that you will be doing most of the time. We have a great love for these hammers, the various operations they can handle, their build, and brands. As you look deeper into the list, we hope you finally find a hammer that beats all your tasks.
Thank you for reading with us today! Be sure to check out more helpful guides to choosing the right products online at ReviewsCube.
YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR ONLINE PRODUCT REVIEWS & RESEARCH!